Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Last Day In Guangzhou...

Well, the time has come for me to depart. As I sit in the Starbucks around the corner from the Victory Hotel (where we stayed) I reflect on my time in this city and the things that I have seen and experienced. This is truly a city that is on the move and is slowly advancing to accommodate more and more foreigners. I think the fact that there is a Starbucks here says a lot. The hotel in located on Shamian Island. It is an area that was given as a concession. A place where foreigners can come and experience a little bit of home. It is really pretty and a great place for the adoptive families finish their time while they are finishing the adoption process. I have done everything from shop at IKEA to having a personal shopper(http://www.redthreadchina.com/) take me around tot he different wholesale areas. As we all know, most everything says made in China. And chances are I have seen where the retailers get it from before it hits the stores stateside. I have eaten some really great food on my trip and got to experience this great culture and hospitality along the way. A brief recap on the families.... As of yesterday afternoon at about 4:30 pm, all the families have their daughters visas and are able to return to the states where they will become US citizens upon clearing customs. While at the US consulate yesterday withe the families, I was able to personally meet the Vice Consul that performed the Oath Swearing Ceremony that the adoptive parents all took part in. He was very funny and made the ceremony fun. He is also fluent in Mandarin and Cantonese, which I found very impressive. Most of the families let this morning. The last family leaves tomorrow. I know that this has been a long trip for the families. Most have been traveling since the 1st week in November. They will return home this week to discover that December is this weekend, Christmas is just 3 weeks away and they have grown by one family member. They will return to their homes forever changed. I watched yesterday as they said their oath, and their faces shined and beamed with excitement. Their children are adjusting very well after being with the new families for almost a full 2 weeks. The transformation from Gotcha Day to now is absolutely amazing! I am now able to play with them, toss them in the air, play peek-a-boo and even hold some of them. I was so excited and encouraged at how far they have come. I love kids and I was really concerned that I would not be able to interact with them other than saying hello. God has really answered that prayer for me. This has been an amazing trip for me. I am so grateful to God that I have the job that I have and to work for HOPE for Children. Being here I have truly seen hope for children. I am encouraged by our families hearts to adopt and the desire to even come back and do it again. It was great to see the children interacting with their new sisters. I think that the siblings had a great time as well. In talking with the Miller's children, they enjoyed them selves so much they wanted to stay. They absolutely adore their sister Sarah Beth. Ryan Pinson has been a trooper as well. I have called Su Su her mini me or shadow. Everywhere Ryan went so did Su Su. I literally mean everywhere too! They are a cute pair. I am sure that when Danielle Tanski returns to meet her older sisters they will have a blast together as well. Well I have to sign off now and get ready to go have dinner before boarding my plane to LA. I will try to upload pictures later. It was taking to long to do it now. I will miss this city (China in general as well), breakfast at the hotel, the Movie channel in the hotel room, a less expensive way of life and most of all spending time with the families and their beautiful children. Good-bye Guangzhou, China!

5 comments:

Jia He's Family said...

Hi Aisha,

Loved following your journey! Can't wait to talk to you about your redthread shopping experience:)
Marye

Jennifer said...

I am so glad you had such a wonderful time. I have truely enjoyed following your journey. We will have many questions to ask you when you are back in the office so be ready! :) I pray that you have safe travels...

Take care,
Jen S.

Anonymous said...

Aisha, What an incredible experience! We're excited for all the tips you'll have for us for our trip.
-Emily & Jason Hendrickson

Anonymous said...

Hello my dearest...it was very good walking each day with you. I know you were having fun and I know you have a lot still to tell and I'll be all ears to hear it all. Have a safe trip back home. How is the weather over there now?? It's very cold at your home. Talk with you soon. Love AZ...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for allowing us to join you on an amazing trip! Talk to you when you get back.

Haj